October 03, 2006

Durian - The King Of Fruits...And Smells

The first time I tried Durian was in Vietnam. I had heard a lot about this fruit, and it was inevitable that some day I would get an opportunity to satisfy my curiosity.

A cyclo-driver, who became a friend, quickly managed to locate a Durian for me. The hard outer casing of the fruit is covered in spines, and watching my friend go to work with a large knife, concerned me no end, as it seemed very likely that a finger would be removed sooner than the skin of the fruit.

I found myself jolting each time the blade struck, expecting a scream to follow, as well as an emergency visit to the local hospital, where a detached digit in ice could be reattached! I wondered what the statistics were for Durian accidents in Southeast Asia.

Finally, my friend managed to break through, and a strong smell of vomit started to permeate the air. Durian is infamous for its odour. For those not initiated, the smell can often cause such a revulsion that the very idea of eating it becomes an unlikely proposition indeed. However, those brave enough to open their mouths and ingest the inner fruit, will find the taste very different from the smell. The yellow flesh inside is sweet and tastes more like a rich custard, rather than the discharge of an underage drinker.

Since that first encounter, Durian is a fruit that I always track down when I am in its geographical location. It comes highly recommended. If the fruit's smell seems overwhelming, then try some of Thailand's Durian flavoured chips; they smell like vomit and taste like...well...vomit.

Photography and Story by El-Branden Brazil

4 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I thought that because taste and smell are so closely related that anything that smelled bad would taste bad.

The crisps don't sound like much fun!

Alexander said...

Durian is certainly odd. Yeah, I think Custard is an accurate description. Although, I feel that its odour is over hyped really. I never felt it was as bad as has been described. Durian flavoured Crisps? Luckily I've not encountered that product.

Unknown said...

Actually, to be really honest, I agree with you Alexander, that the Durian's odour is hyped. I love the fruit.

oldladybird's garden said...

Seems to me that the Durian has tried everything to keep people from eating it; dangerous, spikey outer shell followed by a repulsive smell.
God bless the crazy human who overcame the first two obstacles and yet still put the friut in his or her mouth!

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint