October 30, 2006

The Coconut Seller


Coconut Seller In Thiravanamalai, India
Photography By El-Branden Brazil

The above image is my favourite shot of all the photographs I have taken (so far). I adore the composition, with its lines, colour and subject. It just seems to meld miraculously.

Some of you may have seen this image before, but I have never discussed about the circumstances in which it was taken.

Whilst roaming the streets of the holy Indian city of Thiravanamalai in South India, I came across a married couple arguing furiously at each other. The lady was snapping violently at palm leaves with a big knife.

I was immediately drawn to her face, so I politely interrupted their conversation and pointed to my camera. Suddenly, the lady's demeanour changed entirely, and she posed in a manner that took away what was so interesting in the first place. The lighting was still lovely, but the mood had changed, and the resulting image shows this.

Her husband was not my priority target, but I decided that there was something worth taking. He posed rather solemnly, with a face that captured the frustration of the argument he was having with his wife. After I took his picture, which has become my most prized, the couple resumed their fierce spat with each other.

3 comments:

Alexander said...

Wonderful. I always feel photos have much more power when they are accompanied by the circumstances of what was going on at the time. I've often felt it about your photo Blogs, that travel story snapshots could be wrapped around them to enhance things. It is amazing that pointing your camera seemed to cause a 'interlude' in the drama. In the west, I think it would have been more likely that the subject would have lashed out at a camera man.

Having seen that photo of yours (the man) before, it did seem he had this pained expression of resignation on his face. Now I know why (LOL). "Nagging wife". It really has a - "what to do? what to do? Same same but different" Indian fatalism about it. Btw, when I click on that photo of the man, it doesn't seem to enlarge, but shows a tiny 50x50'ish thumbnail (just thought I'd mention it).

Unknown said...

It is interesting that you would like more information surrounding my photographs. I, myself, rather prefer a little mystery, that allows me to interpret the mood and reasons behind the scene in a picture, painting or photograph. The truth is , that even if I should add more information, it still will only be a tiny aspect of the scene taken, based on my own perceptions and intrigue. I have no idea what that couple had been arguing about. I just knew they were arguing.

Hey, Alexander, thank you very much for all the time an effort you give in writing up comments. Thank God someone is interested!!!!

Alexander said...

My pleasure, Branden. In regard to the "story behind the picture" thing. I guess I'm not quite someone who understands the many levels of art. My thing has always been sound more than visuals I guess. Although many people see all kinds of meanings in a painting, my understanding of such things is still pretty shallow. Although, after a visit to Italy recently, that is starting to change. I'm starting to appreciate the levels and unspoken language of sculpture and art now. Maybe I just need time to fine tune the same kind of "receptors" when it comes to photos? :D

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint