August 30, 2006

Dusty Boots

As the summer comes to a close, I find myself desperately trying to hold on to the freshness of the experiences I had in Egypt. My hiking boots are still covered in sandy dust from the Pyramids of Giza, and I simply cannot bring myself to remove it.

Already, some of it has fallen away as I travelled to Dubai, then Korea and then back home to Tokyo. How those grains have migrated!

It has made me think about how the world continually shifts and how much we are a part of this process of change; certainly our impact on the planet has been both positive and detrimental.

Those tiny grains will in time become part of a new environment, may be now nurturing life as they could not in the desert. Perhaps the wind will take them high and they may fall to accompany a Japanese temple for aeons, as they had done so at the Pyramids.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

You could always scrape bits of dust and sand into wee plastic bags and make a collection. Then at some point you could pour them all out at a significant spot.

Alternatively you could just get some wax & polish

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's an amazing thought really.

Unknown said...

Rain played a part today in the removal of the grains. Nature's way...

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint