May 30, 2005

Rebirth Or Reincarnation?

The other day, I visited a Waterstones bookstore in Bath, trying to pass some hours. As is my usual way, I found myself sat down in the section devoted to religion, philosophy and spiritual matters.

I picked out a beautifully produced book, called The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Buddhist Wisdom. I think I was drawn to it, because I wished to see images of places I had been, as well as to judge the photography. Throughout, were familiar sites that drew me back to my beloved Asia.

The book contained all the rudimentary teachings of the Buddhist path, written clearly and accessibly for the newly introduced. Even for an old horse, it is very beneficial to review the basics, so I glanced over page after page, reminding myself of everything I should have remembered, but had long forgotten.

There was a particularly fascinating section in the book, which quite vehemently disowns the word reincarnation, replacing it with rebirth, instead. Over the years, I have heard both terms used within Buddhist circles. However, to incarnate something, means that there must be a tangible, contained object in which to transfer. Buddhists do not grasp on to the sustainability of a person's personality or soul. The existence of self is a delusion. Rather, a much more subtle process occurs.

The book uses beautifully the metaphor of a candle. As a candle finally starts to burnout, the flickering flame ignites the wick of a new candle. The flame now burns brightly again. The flame could be seen to be the continuation of the old flame. It could also be seen to be the start of a new flame. It exists through causal dependency: Without the passing of the old flame, the new flame could not come into being. It is both, and yet, it is not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Waterstones bookshop in Bath. Know it well. Haven't been in it for a number of years now. But i used to also hang out in the same sections that you do (is that section still downstairs?)

Unknown said...

It certainly is a nice spot to hang out. Especially since they introduced seats.

Ellen said...

thanks for sharing the candle message. i have had a hard time getting my head around incarnation. rebirth makes better sense to me. just last week it occurred to me that incarnation may simply be referring to the different phases of our lives, rather than some physical presto zappo magic trick. of course, the thought flew into and then out of my head. your post rekindled my thought and solidified into a better perception. so really, thanks again for sharing!

Anirudh Kumar Satsangi said...

My most Revered Guru of my previous life His Holiness Maharaj Sahab, 3rd Spiritual Head of Radhasoami Faith had revealed this secret to me during trance like state.
HE told me, “Tum Sarkar Sahab Ho” (You are Sarkar Sahab). Sarkar Sahab was one of the most beloved disciple of His Holiness Maharj Sahab. Sarkar Sahab later on became Fourth Spiritual Head of Radhasoami Faith
Since I don’t have any direct realization of it so I can not claim the extent of its correctness. But it seems to be correct. During my previous birth I wanted to sing the song of ‘Infinite’ but I could not do so then since I had to leave the mortal frame at a very early age. But through the unbounded Grace and Mercy of my most Revered Guru that desire of my past birth is being fulfilled now.

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint