March 13, 2007

A Return To Burma


Bagan Stupas Stained By The Setting Sun
Photography By El-Branden Brazil

After spending a week watching pirate DVDs of the latest cinema hits in Bangkok, finally my visa for Burma (Myanmar) has come through, and I will be able to return for my third trip there tomorrow. I cannot wait to get back into real travel, and to track down the friends I made on my last trip. I do hope that they are okay.

I plan to spend the first few days in wonderful Rangoon (Yangon), while I prepare for my journey up to Bagan. Armed with twenty rolls of professional Velvia film, I have a plan to focus my photography on the local village life in Nyuang U, if all goes well. I am sure that my friends there will help me make it possible. I am pleased with some of the shots from my previous trips to Burma, but I know I can do a lot better. This time, I know what I want.

I would like to update my blog regularly, as I travel the country. Unfortunately, access to the internet is limited at the present time, so I do not think it will be possible to do so. I will try my best, and I will keep a diary, which I will type up here, at a later date.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time. Although the internet is heavily restricted there, Burmese near Inle Lake said it was possible to get around the block in the same way many chinese get around the great firewall. Mind you, they were referring to being able to access things like Yahoo, for example. So I can't be sure about Blogger. But it's worth a try. Then again, the last thing you want to be doing in Burma, is sitting in an internet cafe LOL.

Anonymous said...

Torpark is probably the best bet, and has been recommended for use in Burma. You can download it onto a thumbdrive, and it should allow you to access anything. However, there are a lot of people living in Burma who do actually blog on Blogger, so I don't think it's even blocked at all.

If you have time, and know people who could use it, you might consider buying a few extra thumbdrives and loading them with Torpark, to give to people in Burma, as according to all reports, foreigners don't get searched at customs. Just be very discreet and careful about it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that may not have been clear. Torpark is an anonymizer/proxy that gets around internet blocks. It's easy to find info and downloads by googling it.

Kim Ayres said...

Hope you have a great time- sure you will. I look forward to seeing your latest set of photos :)

Kim Ayres said...

When you get back, I've tagged you with a Thinking Blogger award if you're interested.

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint