October 20, 2006

A Night At The Movies In Dharamsala

Perched high up in the Indian Himalaya, is the small enclave of Dharamsala. Dharamsala and its neighbouring township McCleod Ganj, is home to a thriving community of Tibetan exiles, including His Holiness, The Dalai Lama.

To reach this bastion of Tibetan Buddhism, the traveller is required to take transport up a winding, treacherous mountain road, that leaves little room for oncoming traffic.

On arrival, it becomes apparent that this is a place unlike any other in India. Everywhere are monks and nuns, clad in their maroon and saphron-coloured robes, wandering about doing their daily business. There are also many backpackers, attracted by the spiritual promise.

One evening, my friend and I decided that we would entertain ourselves by visiting the local cinema. Now, by cinema, I do not mean a multiplex, but rather a tiny room at the back of a food store, that had seating for only 12 people.

We purchased our tickets and took our seats, staring at the regular sized television set that was sat in front of us. The presentation for the evening was The Replacement Killers, with Mira Sorvino and Chow Yun-Fat; an extremely average film with lots of shooting and chasing.

The highlight of the evening came not from the film, but from watching some of our companions in the "cinema". Sat in front of us, were four Buddhist monks, who seemed entranced by the movie. Each time there was an action sequence, they leaned closer to the television, obviously gripped by the high jinks before them. There was enormous novelty to be had from witnessing this incongruous clash of culture, tradition and modernity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hihi, funny little story.
Sometimes I wish I lived in a place like that, perhaps blissfully unaware of the cruel world outside.

Alexander said...

I remember those little movie rooms in McCleod Ganj (on the main street,yes?). Something about them seemed a little bit seedy (imo). I seem to remember there was a black board outside,upon which they scribbled the latest movie titles in coloured chalks. Sooner or later I was sure I was going to see something scribbled on there like - "Forbidden Fruit" or some other equally worrying movie title. Not sure if I ever watched a movie in them though. Just glimpsed the TV room inside. Or, I may have 'tried' to watch one, but gave up because the sound was inaudible.

Unknown said...

Hi Eva & Alexander!

Thanks for reminding me that McCloud Ganj is actually spelt Mcleod Ganj...I'll quickly change it before anyone notices!;)

Alexander, we seem to have walked on many of the same paths around the world! Thank you to both of you for showing interest in my blog.

Best wishes,

El-Branden

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint