October 12, 2006

Heroes #2 - Nick Drake

The music of Nick Drake was introduced to me by my housemate at university. I was immediately taken in by the deep spiritual poignancy of the songs and the music he wrote. There is a sadness, loneliness and gentleness to his music that touches my soul like no other musician.

The River Man, in particular, has a certain mystique that I can relate to more than any other song. When I was feeling very melancholic last year, back in Britain, I would often walk the canals near Bath, thinking about this song. It means a lot to me and I hope you enjoy it.

Sadly, Nick Drake committed suicide in 1974, at the age of 26.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out for "Brittle DAYS: A Tribute to NICK DRAKE" album -- it may already have been deleted though... "River Man" is such a masterpiece, so is "Time Of No Reply".

Alexander said...

You made a convert to Nick Drake when you put your MySpace profile up recently, Branden. Hearing that song River Man for the first time, was quite an experience. Such depth in that music. It touches on so many levels. Melancholy, but accompanied by the secretly cherished peace that travels alongside human Melancholy, which makes it something we rather enjoy deep down. Since hearing it, I checked out a few of his other songs and find myself quite addicted to "Fruit Tree".

Around one minute 55 into it, and until 2 minutes 55, it transforms into something almost Arabian in musical style, and it is incredibly striking. In ways, the song reminds me of Eleanor Rigby, because it is said that the Beatles used a Medieval musical formula (intentionally or unintentionally) in that song, which makes it stand out as so unique.

Perhaps Nick was playing with us in a similar way, with Fruit Tree? One thing is for sure, when somebody puts such magic into a song like that, they are after my own heart. Great composition.

Unknown said...

Hi Sunny! Thanks for popping by.

Hi, Alexander! I am delighted that you have become a devotee of all that is Nick Drake. Wonderful music, isn't it?

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint