October 17, 2006

Dinner With The Bhutan Ambassador To Japan, India & Nepal

Left: El-Branden Brazil with
His Excellency Dago Tshering.

As someone with a deep passion for Tibetan Buddhism, I have always been drawn to the Himalayas. It is, without question, one of my favourite regions in the world. Whilst I have visited both India and Nepal, one country in particular, that has always held a fascination for me, is the nation of Bhutan.

Last night, I was given an opportunity to attend a dinner party with His Excellency Dago Tshering, who is the Bhutan Ambassador to Japan, India and Nepal. His residency is in New Delhi, India.

Bhutan is a landlocked land, that sits between the great powers of China and India. In comparison to its neighbours' massive populations, only 700,000 people occupy Bhutan.

Bhutan is a country that has strived admirably to retain its traditions, untainted by outside influences. The King of Bhutan has been promoting policies that protect the culture, but also develop the country, so that it can become a viable member within the global community.

The Ambassador informed us that part of this development programme, is the introduction of a multi-party political system, which will be established in 2008. At this point, the King will rescind the powers that he currently retains, and a new king will be selected. The reason for such a radical change of governance, stems from the King's dedication to the welfare and happiness of his people. Unlike other countries, which focus mainly on Gross National Profit (GNP), Bhutan prioritises what it calls Gross National Happiness (GNH).

To achieve its aims for generating happiness, four pillars of policy are in place: 1. Sustainable and equitable socio-economic development, which provides free health care and education to all, as well as national projects that provide employment opportunities. 2. Protection of the environment. 3. Preservation and promotion of culture. 4. Good governance that retains the people's interests first.

This refreshing approach has been of interest to many policy makers across the globe, with even Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer, Gordon Brown, considering its implications for improving people's lives. It is certainly a very Buddhist approach, which is not surprising, as Bhutan is defined by a very strong Buddhist culture.

As the evening continued, I had the pleasure of listening to two classical Bhutanese musicians. My Japanese friends were extremely surprised at how it resembled the sound of traditional Japanese music. Certainly, there is some sharing of culture between Bhutan and Japan, that probably occurred with the spreading of Mahayana Buddhism across the Asian continent.

Recently, I have been very interested in perhaps finding work in Bhutan, as I have a wish to develop my own understanding of Buddhism further. I mentioned this to the Ambassador, and he informed me that there are many Buddhist teachers, willing to take on students.

The Ambassador was a charming man, and it was an honour and a delight to speak with him.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog through a blog search for Bhutan (am interested in finding ways of getting there to do work at some point, beyond tourism)-- what an exciting encounter! Good luck in arranging a stay with a teacher there. I look forward to reading how that turns out!

Kim Ayres said...

Hobnobbing with all these ambassadors eh? I hope they were spoiling you with Ferrero Rocher ;)

Unknown said...

I was at an Ethiopian party that I annually attend last Friday, and there were nine African ambassadors there.

It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble! ;)

Unknown said...

L'el, good luck with your efforts to find work in Bhutan. Pop by again.

Best wishes,

El-Branden Brazil

Alexander said...

As Kim said,you're becoming quite the 'statesman' with all these photo moments. I love the second photo. Is this a mystical "jedi finger" or something? Are you abusing your special powers again? I think a bit of hypnotism is taking place there. Are you planting a suggestion in his mind that he has a frog in his throat? As for Bhutan, I admire their policy of moderation regarding tourism and other outside influences. Although that policy tends to keep people like myself (not loaded) from visiting the country, it does safeguard the culture. Having seen the effects of unregulated building, and 'stoop to any level to get those dollars' which has occured in "some" other countries when the floodgates are opened to tourism with little preparation for the long term effects, I admire how Bhutan is treading lightly.

Unknown said...

Alexander, the Finger of Mysticism strikes again!

Your comments about Bhutan's policy for controlling tourism are right. I hope very much that the same stringency is applied in Burma (Myanmar), because I fear that in the future, when finally a new, freer government is established, tourism will wreak havoc on the culture and its beautiful people. Actually, I said the same thing last night to the Ambassador.

Anonymous said...

Gross National Happiness?
That is fantastic!!
I did not know that - actually I hardly know anything about Bhutan, so I find this fascinating reading.
Imagine if every country in the world had this approach...?
I could be a very different place indeed.

Anonymous said...

I meant IT could be a different place of course....

Unknown said...

The odd typo is my forte, Eva, as you know! ;)

Yes, I think that our governments (I don't know too much about Fin politics) prioritise too much interest in profit at a human and spiritual cost. How wonderful the Bhutan King is!

Best wishes,

El-Branden

Anonymous said...

Well Finland is a rich country and people live very well there.
But we have one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
That says something, I think...

Actually we're right up there with Japan somewhere, I think ;)

Unknown said...

Indeed, Japan does have a high suicide rate.

I don't expect people to believe in a spirituality, without thought, but I do think that part of the human condition is having a sense of something beyond and more important than ourselves. Religion may all be hokum, but you cannot remove a million years of superstitious cogitation. We are wired (however illusory) for exploring what lies behind the veil of reality. Everything we do in art, science and philosophy is an attempt to find Truth.

Rambling aside, prioritising profit and capital, really goes against the core of human existence. Like drug addicts, we have become transfixed with a lifestyle that really has no relevance to the REAL nature of the universe. As we all know, money really has no inherent value, unless one chooses to believe it does. In many ways, money has become the new God, with so many false promises of happiness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Branden,

Recently, your webpage is really hitting an excellent groove with your regular updates, interesting writing and photos.

Keep up the good work!

Be good,
JQ

Anonymous said...

It's a very nice artical that you have written about Bhutan. I am an 18year old Bhutanese and I acually feel proud of reading such a comment from an 'outsider'. It is true about what you have written. we were taught from early on by both our schools and parents(well, my parents so to speak!)about GNH and enviromental protection. We never question about the environmantal cause and we are very surprised that some people question Global warming, we are taught about global warming from early Jr. High schooling. And we do not, actually never, say that it is not true. We also are taught science along with Buddist teachings and we never have problems. We deal with facts along with our spiritual beliefs deeply inbeded in us. I think your story has also opened my eyes that Bhutan is going in the right direction(when seen from the outside). Well, thank you. I hope, someday, to see you in Bhutan!!

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint