July 28, 2004

The Big Picture & The Small Picture

When does the BIG PICTURE end up dominating our private world too much? And when is the small picture too apathetic to be concerned with the outside world? How can we balance having concern for the major issues of our time, whilst not losing our sense of being and happiness in our daily lives?

As our intake of news and information grows through new media, such as the Internet, our consciousness of events outside our localised environment, appear to be ever more encrouching upon our lives. In this particular time of war and terrorism, it seems compulsory to become consumed and almost suffocated by the latest headlines declaring tragedy or potential doom and gloom. I present to you, 21st. Century Life:

In a dizzying frenzy, I grab any material or information that may protect me from future horrors that could appear upon my very own doorstep. I stock the cupboards with food, buy duct tape for the windows, and bottle water in storage containers, terrified that a terrifying terror is about to terrorize me! THE FEAR IS CONSUMING!!!

And then...

As usual, I wake up to the warmth of the sun shining through my curtains. My shirts are ironed, and my pants pressed for work. Oh, I must pay my bills tonight. Damn it, I have to complete that report, too. Oh, that bloody report. Did I drop off the DVD? Did I send a Mother's Day card to my dear Mum? What shall I eat tonight? Drop by 7-11 for a microwave spaghetti or shall I pop out to a restaurant? Better watch the calories! I think The Osbournes is on tonight. That last chapter in The Da Vinci Code.....wow! Religion...

And then it hits me...

Better watch the news. Oh, God! Another explosion! 112 dead! When's this going to stop? Refugees suffering in the Sudan. Oh, where is the humanity? Fox News is too Rightwing. Another woman gone missing while jogging. Where does this evil come from? It was never like this when I was younger, was it? Another hostage is taken in Iraq? Geez, what are his chances? Bush said what? Unbelievable! When can I start living again?

And then the computer is shut down and the TV switched off...

I do love the silence of the evening.

No comments:

 
Travel Guide - Travellerspoint